Friday 14 January 2011

Old faithful

Not the dog - the wool winder. Strangely the dog wouldn't move for me to photograph the winder - did he know I was calling the post "Old faithful"?

This is actually a not-so-new wool winder, bought about 25 years ago - I even got it cheap at the time because it clicked sometimes. I think I paid about $10 for it at the time, but they now cost about 40. Still, I think it's worth it.


Yesterday I was so glad to have one, because when the dogs ran down 2 flights of stairs dragging my knitting with them - the project stayed upstairs and the tread went down 2 flights but didn't break, because it had been wound into a centre-pull cake and unravelled beautifully.

Just as well, because they would have unravelled about 1/2 the project !

I re-wind almost all of my yarns with it before using them - it helps me to see how colours will develop with hand-painted or self-striping yarns and also shows if there are any knots.

No comments:

Post a Comment